GOALS

Promote involvement in the architecture profession and the community

A foundation for professional and educational development

Provide the resources and support for interns on the path to licensure

contact: aiasww.elg@gmail.com

3.18.2009

My travels through the Worksource Unemployment office

Some of you were interested in my travels to the unemployment office, so here is a quick synopsis on what I am doing to try to get my ARE and LEED tests paid for by the unemployment office.... An excerpt from an email describing what I am doing below

You are correct Cheryl, its a need based benefit. So far to get where I am have attended a 2 hour orientation class, and a 1 hour class on just the EOC (Education Occupation C?) I have an application that I am filling out that I received from the last class that will get me in front of a counsler. I am told that from the time I fill out the application to the time I see a counsler is 3-6 weeks.

FYI - the EOC is a seperate agency that is responsable for worker retraining when you find yourself in a field of work that is not there anymore. It is one of the dozens of federal, state, and local agencies that make up the Worksource coalition. Because the number and type of agencies change per region, this resource is different depending on what region you live in.

Once I am there I will have to proove that I am in a declining or dieing profession and need to have new skills or be retrained. There is a specific website that shows the career survey that the state pulls this information from. Last I checked Architecture was in the stagnent catagory (the last research date was august of '08). This doesnt mean that I am dead in the water. I just have to proove that there are very few positions open and that there is a high competition for the positions that are out there.

I think that I can tell people that they can skip the orientation classes, and go right to the worksource office on Tacoma Ave, and ask for an EOC application. That would save ground from the route that I have taken. I will keep you updated on my travels through the unemployment office.

So I think that the bottom line of all this is to go to the worksource office on Tacoma AVE. (I think its off 11th) and ask for an E.O.C. application. Fill it out letter by letter and DO NOT leave anything blank without checking with the office first.

1 comment:

Brian Keeley said...

Hi,

I am with Ideate Inc., we are an Autodesk reseller and offer many Autodesk software training classes. We have had unemployed Architects taking our Revit classes through WorkSource. Call me if you have any questions.
cell - 206-708-3341
Brian Keeley